Mayergirl, you raise a good point about the way the media portrays the standard of beauty these days. But I also agree with Cami that is only within very recent years. And when you see someone like Lindsey Lohan and what she did to that beautiful red hair, you can tell that blonde hair still has quite a hold on our culture.

I know it varies depending on where you live and socio-economics of your community, but I know that in my area, blonde would stil be considered the standard/ideal beauty. Most girls I know either highlight or dye their hair blonde and numerous guys I have met have said they prefer blonde or at least, the lighter the hair the better. Perhaps Im just a rebel wanting to go agasint the system but for myself I will never go very light or blonde. And thats not to say every guy where I live prefers the platinum look, but I can tell you that nearly every guy I have ever met who has been asked an opinion on hair will almost always go with the lighter color, which of course, is often blonde. My own boyfriend has told me he prefers my natural medium brown with lots of blonde highlights over my darker (current) hair. Of course, he reminded me that Im beautiful no matter what. What a sweetheart *sigh*

Now I know going according to what guys prefer might not seem to fit into society's percieved ideal of beauty. But we live in a male dominated world. So what men see as ideal is what will marketed as ideal. Along with the fashion designers and their walking hangers they like to call models. But thats a WHOLE other issue....

But thats just my [img]graemlins/money.gif[/img] I like discussing such things oh here, its fun [img]wink.gif[/img]